Wednesday, August 22, 2007

#21 Podcasts


OK, I'm admitting something few people know about me --I'm addicted to podcasts. This has been going on since January when I bought an iPod shuffle. The shuffle is the smallest iPod, the one that looks like a matchbook. Every weekend I download a new set of podcasts from iTunes, usually NPR radio programs that air during the week when I'm busy. Or I like NPR's subject-oriented compilations, such as movie reviews that aired in the last week on different programs.

A new thing for me is trying German language learning podcasts. There are some in iTunes by Deutsche Welle and others that have news spoken very slowly in German, lessons, cultural news in English or German, etc. This is great for self-study!

Another new discovery is the podcast directory on the website Public Radio Fan (haven't tried any of them yet)

As for the podcast directories recommended in Learning 2.0 / library-related podcasts:
  • The Library Channel (found at Podcast.net) from Arizona State University is well-done. I listened to Don't Panic: Information Resources For When Your Deadline Looms! Something like this could be a great resource for students, maybe accessible from our web pages, or I could make podcasts like this to distribute to journalism students and faculty, to be used by those who can't get to any of my library resource presentations.
  • At PodcastAlley I did not find anything right away; a search for libraries listed many podcasts that mostly seemed relevant to the public library audience. Maybe I'll look again later. As far as library podcasts go, I'm more interested in creating useful podcasts than in listening to them.

No comments: